Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Zen and the vacuum

 Cleaned and sanitized my apartment today, and I am feeling pretty zen about it. I love having a clean place. The only problem is, I don't like to clean. Does anyone else wish they were OCD and cleaned because they just couldn't help themselves? I have this inner conflict, because my mom always had a very neat and clean house but she never made me do it, so I grew into a person who wants to have a clean place, but lack discipline and organization to keep at it. It is not funny, because living in a messy environment causes me almost physical discomfort, but yet I let things get pretty out of hand sometimes. Then, once I start cleaning, I can't stop. It is an all-or-nothing deal. Talk about contradictions. I am like this housekeeper version of Jekyll and Hide ;)). Well, maybe not that bad.

 It is while I was cleaning today that I discovered that my daughter is terrified of the vacuum. I sat her up in the high chair so she wouldn't be underfoot and she screamed louder then the vacuum (and we don't have one of those nice quiet once, either). Then I tried vacuuming with one arm while holding her, but that was really uncomfortable, so I ended up just putting her in the crib so I could finish, and she screamed the whole time! After I picked her up and calmed her, I thought I would try some systematic desensitization and introduce her to the evil machine gradually. She did ok with the vacuum off if I was holding her, even reached out to touch it, but all my attempts to leave her one-on-one with it just brought on more crying, and turning it on made her almost hysterical. So, I need to figure out a way to vacuum when she is either asleep or someone is around to distract her.


The offending piece of equipment

 
  Me to Anastasia: "See, honey, the vacuum is nice, it is plastic, it's not going to eat you ..."
  Anastasia to herself: "Yeah, I am not so sure about that ..."

No comments:

Post a Comment